My name is Sharon and I'm walking 60 miles in November as part of the Phoenix Breast Cancer 3-Day to benefit Komen for the Cure. I have begun training for this event requiring endurance, a few nights in a tent, and $3000+. Please read about why I'm walking and considering donating. Every dollar benefits the cause. While you're here, please visit some of the links on the left and right, and come back often to check in on my progress. Thank you!

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Why I'm Walking

Barmy adj.
1.
marked by spirited enjoyment
2.
eccentric; daft

It's hard for me to believe that a decade has passed since my family lost the gentlest member of our lot, Carlyn. She lost her recurring battle with breast cancer in 1997 at the age of 37. In kin terms, Carlyn was my aunt, although she was just two years older than me (that's us in the pool at the top of this page). Her death was a rude introduction to this disease; I had my first mammogram done that fall, at 35. Since 1997, my screenings have become increasingly difficult to read given the nature of my anatomy and physiology (multiple kinds of annual screenings and weeks of waiting for definitive results). Since 1997, too many other people I know have been affected by breast cancer. I wish none of them had endured this horrible disease, but happily they are survivors.*

In light of this experience with cancer, I decided several weeks ago to walk the Komen Breast Cancer 3-Day (November 2-4, Phoenix) to raise awareness about early detection and to personally raise $3000+ to help a fabulous organization support essential research for a cure and improve services for those affected by the disease. Over the 3 day, 60 mile course, I will spend time remembering Carlyn. Remembering some of the daft things we did: our infamous room painting episode; stalking the lead high school stage band trumpet player in Ocean Grove; taking three little kids hiking in the Shenandoah's; seeing Graham Parker at the Stone Pony (ok, not so daft); other barmy escapades that will come to me later. I'll spend time thinking about the survivors I know; remembering that if they can beat cancer, I can easily survive 60 miles with the support of a few thousand other people who really believe individuals can make a difference.

*More about the survivors I know when I get their okay to write about them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sharon, You are the most barmy person I know, and I love you very much! What a great thing you are doing here. I can't wait to follow along! If I can find a way to make it out there, I'll be there to help! Other than that I will donate as much as I can. I can't tell you how much I admire you for doing this and as a member of this daft family, how proud I am to call you my cousin! I have to go at least twice a year for mammo's also. I've been going since 35 and except for a couple of times they have been all clear! Thank you for Joelle and Jackie also. We are Family! I love you and Good luck!!!!
Danielle

Anonymous said...

Danielle, this is Ray G.I have been looking for you for over 8 years. If you know who I am., contact me by e-mail rg1141@hotmail.com please.